A titan of the Twin Cities’ legal community, Allan Caplan has spent
the last 35 plus years at the forefront of Minnesota criminal law, first
as a Hennepin County prosecutor, and for the last 30 years as Senior Partner
at the firm that bears his name. In 1983, he formed what would become
Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, today one of the premier criminal defense
firms in the Midwest, with five attorneys passionately representing clients
in criminal law matters, locally and nationally.
Since that time, Mr. Caplan has represented thousands of clients, zealously
pursuing the best possible outcome for each one of them in every area
from DWI to white collar crime to first degree murder.
The many acquittals and successful outcomes he has achieved speak to a
legal expertise that has led to his being named attorney of the year by
Minnesota Law & Politics in 2010 and one of the state’s best
criminal attorneys by Mpls St. Paul Magazine on multiple occasions. His
superior legal & ethical skills have earned him the highest possible
certification of AV-Preeminent from the national attorney rating service,
Martindale-Hubbell and he has been named a Minnesota “Super Lawyer”
on eight occasions.
Mr. Caplan is a graduate of the William Mitchell College of Law and is
licensed in Minnesota, Wisconsin, has appeared Pro Hac Vice in Iowa &
South Dakota and is licensed in the Federal Courts in Minnesota, Wisconsin,
North Dakota & Southern District of New York.
Mr. Caplan has developed and mentored an elite group of Minneapolis criminal
defense lawyers and attorneys that have successfully resolved more than
- Selected to Minnesota Super Lawyers® 2003 - 2005, 2007 - 2010, 2014 - 2017
- A.V. Rated by Martindale-Hubbel®
- Named Attorney of the Year in 2010 by Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine
- Nationally Ranked Top 10 Attorney by the National Academy of Criminal Defense
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in The National Trial Lawyers
- Licensed to practice in both Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as U.S. Federal Court
- Lead Counsel Rated for significant experience and recognition by his peers
Why Hire Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A.?
- One of the largest and most experienced criminal defense firms in the Midwest.
- Immediate response day or night, 365 days a year.
- 90 years in combined successful criminal law experience.
- Five highly experienced attorneys, including former prosecutors and career
defense trial lawyers.
- Successfully defended thousands of criminal cases from traffic matters
to Murder in the First Degree.
- Licensed to practice in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Federal Courts in MN,
WI and ND.
- Resources available to represent clients in all 50 states.