Lis Carlson graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and William Mitchell College of Law. Lis worked as a law clerk at the Anoka County Public Defender’s office during law school where she appeared in court every day representing clients during all stages of criminal cases. During this time she gained invaluable courtroom experience and represented hundreds of clients before she even graduated from law school. Lis is most comfortable in the courtroom and uses her advocacy skills to her clients’ advantage, whether it is during a sentencing argument or a motion to dismiss.
While spending seven years as a trial attorney with the Law Office of the Tenth Judicial District Public Defender, Lis represented thousands of people charged with misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, and felony level offenses. Lis has experience litigating complex contested and evidentiary hearings and maintains a well-rounded trial practice. Her recent trial victories include:
- Not guilty verdicts-1st Degree and 2nd Degree criminal sexual conduct
- Not guilty verdicts-Riot, Assault, and Disorderly Conduct
- Not guilty verdicts-3rd and 4th Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct
Her thorough understanding of criminal law and procedure allowed her to secure outstanding results for her clients in serious criminal matters, including dismissals, reduced charges, and downward dispositions from the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines.
Lis prides herself on finding the right path to the right result in each case. Her ability to make her clients feel comfortable and calm during a difficult time in their lives is unmatched.
- Minnesota Super Lawyers® Rising Star 2017-2021
- The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Top Women Attorneys in Minnesota Rising Stars, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, 2018-2019
- Top Young Attorneys in Minnesota, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, 2019
- Top Attorneys in Minnesota-Minnesota’s Outstanding Young Women Lawyers, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, 2018
- Top Attorneys in Minnesota Rising Stars, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, 2017
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D. - 2006
- University of Wisconsin, B.A., Political Science - 2003
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers