Consequences of Violating an Order for Protection

Man in handcuffs behind his back

An order for protection is an official document issued by a court, signed by a judge, that protects a person from stalking, harassment, or abuse. The order for protection can:

  • Order someone to stop abusing another person and their children.
  • Order someone to stay away from specific locations like home and places of work.
  • Order someone to stay away from other family members.
  • Order someone to have no contact with another person.
  • Order someone to attend programs like anger management.

An order for protection may be issued if the court finds that some form of domestic abuse has occurred. The definition of “domestic abuse” includes physical violence or intimidation, but can also include conduct like stalking or criminal sexual conduct. If you violate an order for protection, you can be charged with a crime. Below are more details on the charges:

  • Misdemeanor: Most people who are charged with a misdemeanor are first-time offenders or have not had a domestic violence conviction within the last ten years. If convicted, a person can face fines up to $1,000 and up to 90 days in jail.
  • Gross Misdemeanor: If someone has been convicted of domestic assault within the last ten years, they will most likely receive a gross misdemeanor for a second offense. With a gross misdemeanor, a person can face up to $3,000 worth of fines and up to one year in jail.
  • Felony: Being charged with a felony is one of the most severe consequences. This results from multiple cases of domestic assault within the last ten years. With a felony, a person can receive up to $10,000 worth of fines and up to 5 years in prison.

Minnesota Defense Attorneys

The consequences of violating a order for protection are serious. Before you do or say anything, call the Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. team immediately. We’re here 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and can handle the charges you may face in your case. Let us help you—contact our team today to request a consultation.

Call us at (612) 444-5020 or visit our website to fill out a consultation request form.

Related Posts
  • Domestic Abuse in Minnesota Read More
  • Can an Order For Protection Expire? Read More
  • Common Crimes of Online Dating Read More