Joe Tamburino is one of the most effective criminal defense attorneys in the Twin Cities and has been named a Minnesota “Super Lawyer” for seventeen straight years. His passion for excellence in criminal defense has led to an exclusive rating as a Minnesota State Bar Association Board Certified Legal Specialist in Criminal Law, a certification achieved by fewer than 3% of all attorneys. He has defended his clients effectively against a wide range of charges – from DWI and white collar crimes to child pornography, assault and homicide – and has personally tried over 85 jury trials. Joe has over 25 years of criminal experience.
A graduate of New York University and the University of Minnesota Law School, Tamburino began his career as a public defender in the Anoka County Attorney’s Office. In 1997, he joined what would become Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm and has become a prominent and visible member of the Minnesota legal community. In 1998 he was named a Rising Star in Minnesota by Minnesota Law & Politics (Rising Stars are attorneys who have practiced for less than 10 years and are the age of 40 or younger). Since 2000, he has been named a Super Lawyer by Minnesota Law & Politics for twenty straight years.
Joe Tamburino is currently nominated for an Emmy Award for his legal analysis on WCCO CBS TV throughout the trial of Derek Chauvin. He is a frequent legal analyst for CBS News, Court TV and Law and Crime Network. Tamburino has shared his expert legal analysis on high-profile cases and is a regular resource for media looking for a conversational understanding of current events with legal complexities. He also presents regularly to law schools and legal professional groups on a wide variety of criminal topics including: drinking & driving, alcohol-related accidents, homicides and criminal sexual conduct, campaign finance, international matters and first amendment (free speech) cases
Tamburino is licensed in Minnesota and Wisconsin and the Federal Courts in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.
- MSBA Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist – only 3% of all Attorneys achieve this status
- Minnesota “Super Lawyer” Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine and Minnesota Law & Politics, 2000-2020
- Minnesota “Rising Star,” Minnesota Law & Politics, 1998
- National Moot Court Competition, New York, 1989
- The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Super Lawyers® 2003-2020
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys - 10 Best Client Satisfaction 2015 - 2020
Legal Education Instructor
- Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE) – frequent webcast seminar instructor
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) – Trial School – presenter/instructor
- Minnesota Criminal Justice Institute – instructor
- All District Legal Education – instructor Public Defender Association (1989-1997)
- Office of the State Public Defender (1989-1997)