Joe Tamburino is one of the most effective criminal defense attorneys in the Twin Cities and has been named a Minnesota “Super Lawyer” for seventeen straight years. His passion for excellence in criminal defense has led to an exclusive rating as a Minnesota State Bar Association Board Certified Legal Specialist in Criminal Law, a certification achieved by only 3% of all attorneys. He has defended his clients effectively against a wide range of charges – from DWI and white collar crimes to child pornography, assault and homicide – and has personally tried over 85 jury trials. Joe has over 25 years of criminal experience.
A graduate of New York University and the University of Minnesota Law School, Tamburino began his career as a public defender in the Anoka County Attorney’s Office. In 1997, he joined what would become Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm and has become a prominent and visible member of the Minnesota legal community. In 1998 he was named a Rising Star in Minnesota by Minnesota Law & Politics (Rising Stars are attorneys who have practiced for less than 10 years and are the age of 40 or younger). Since 2000, he has been named a Super Lawyer by Minnesota Law & Politics for seventeen straight years.
He is a frequent commentator on legal issues and current trials for such media outlets as Minnesota Public Radio, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Saint Paul Pioneer Press, WCCO TV & Radio, KSMP/Fox 9 TV and KSTP TV. He has shared his views and expertise on such issues as drinking & driving, alcohol-related accidents, homicides and criminal sexual conduct, campaign finance, international matters and first amendment (free speech) cases.
Tamburino is licensed in Minnesota and Wisconsin and the Federal Courts in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.
- MSBA Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist – only 3% of all Attorneys achieve this status
- Minnesota “Super Lawyer” Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine and Minnesota Law & Politics, 2000-2014, 2017
- Minnesota “Rising Star,” Minnesota Law & Politics, 1998
- National Moot Court Competition, New York, 1989
Legal Education Instructor
- Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE) – frequent webcast seminar instructor
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) – Trial School – presenter/instructor
- Minnesota Criminal Justice Institute – instructor
- All District Legal Education – instructor Public Defender Association (1989-1997)
- Office of the State Public Defender (1989-1997)
- Frequent lecturer at area high schools
- St. Paul Community Council Member, 1996 to 1998