Criminal Defense Attorneys in Minneapolis – (612) 444-5020
When you are accused of making a terroristic threat of any kind, you need to start thinking about how to protect yourself with legal defense. In most cases, terroristic threats will be charged as a felony, but some can be determined to be a federal crime based on the alleged circumstances. As such, the penalties upon conviction will be extreme.
Criminal penalties for terroristic threat charges can include:
- Lengthy incarceration, possible up to life imprisonment
- Steep fines, up to $10,000 for high level felonies
- Restitution paid to any threatened party or accuser
Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. and our federal defense lawyers are ready to take your terroristic threat case and craft a reliable, intelligent defense strategy. Everyone has the right to a fair trial and defense counsel. We will not let the severity of your accusations contaminate the proceedings with public bias and a general societal outrage against any mention of terrorism.
Get to work on your defense right now by contacting our criminal defense firm in Minneapolis.
Important Factors in a Terroristic Threat Case
Simply threatening violence against someone is usually not enough to constitute terroristic threat charges. Most of the time, such a threat would be another violent crime, like assault, depending on a state’s interpretation of the statutes. For someone to be accused, charged, and convicted of a terroristic threat, specific details need to be analyzed and intricate circumstances must be met.
Key factors in a terroristic threat case to consider are:
- Did the defendant actually make a threat of violence, or was some other expression or gesture misinterpreted?
- How specific was the alleged threat of violence? Terroristic threats usually must include specificity beyond simply stating a wish to harm someone.
- Was the alleged threat of violence convincing enough to the average, reasonable person? A threat based in fantasy, like claiming to release a pride of lions in someone’s house, should not be considered grounds for terroristic threat charges.
- Are the details of the alleged terrorist threat specific, real, and severe enough to actually inspire terror in the average, reasonable person?
Hard-Hitting Defense When the Stakes are High
There may be no other crime on the books taken more seriously than terroristic threats, especially in today’s sociopolitical climate. When you have been accused of making such a threat in Minnesota, come to our law firm for defense you can depend on. We have been standing up for the rights of the accused since 1983, and we have accrued an impressive history of case results that speak to our abilities.
Client Testimonial - Josh
Josh came to the firm seeking help with a ...
Client Testimonial - Dave
Dave came to the firm seeking legal guidance for ...
Client Testimonial - Cheryl
Cheryl has complete confidence in the dedication ...