We're available 24/7. Call us at (612) 444-5020.
Criminal Defense Attorneys in Minneapolis – (612) 444-5020
When you are accused of making a terroristic threat of any kind, you need to start thinking about how to protect yourself with legal defense. In most cases, terroristic threats will be charged as a felony, but some can be determined to be a federal crime based on the alleged circumstances. As such, the penalties upon conviction will be extreme.
Criminal penalties for terroristic threat charges can include:
- Lengthy incarceration, possible up to life imprisonment
- Steep fines, up to $10,000 for high level felonies
- Restitution paid to any threatened party or accuser
Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. and our federal defense lawyers are ready to take your terroristic threat case and craft a reliable, intelligent defense strategy. Everyone has the right to a fair trial and defense counsel. We will not let the severity of your accusations contaminate the proceedings with public bias and a general societal outrage against any mention of terrorism.
Get to work on your defense right now by contacting our criminal defense firm in Minneapolis.
Important Factors in a Terroristic Threat Case
Simply threatening violence against someone is usually not enough to constitute terroristic threat charges. Most of the time, such a threat would be another violent crime, like assault, depending on a state’s interpretation of the statutes. For someone to be accused, charged, and convicted of a terroristic threat, specific details need to be analyzed and intricate circumstances must be met.
Key factors in a terroristic threat case to consider are:
- Did the defendant actually make a threat of violence, or was some other expression or gesture misinterpreted?
- How specific was the alleged threat of violence? Terroristic threats usually must include specificity beyond simply stating a wish to harm someone.
- Was the alleged threat of violence convincing enough to the average, reasonable person? A threat based in fantasy, like claiming to release a pride of lions in someone’s house, should not be considered grounds for terroristic threat charges.
- Are the details of the alleged terrorist threat specific, real, and severe enough to actually inspire terror in the average, reasonable person?
Hard-Hitting Defense When the Stakes are High
There may be no other crime on the books taken more seriously than terroristic threats, especially in today’s sociopolitical climate. When you have been accused of making such a threat in Minnesota, come to our law firm for defense you can depend on. We have been standing up for the rights of the accused since 1983, and we have accrued an impressive history of case results that speak to our abilities.
1. Don’t Talk to the Police!
It’s crucial to know that while you should remain respectful with authorities, you have the right to remain silent. This a right protected by the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which makes it clear individuals are protected from being compelled to be a witness against him / herself in criminal matters.
It’s important to note that:
- Talking will not help you avoid an arrest. If law enforcement has probable cause to arrest you, then they will arrest you.
- By speaking, you risk making a confession or providing information that can be used to indict you, even unknowingly.
- Even if you feel that information being discussed is “harmless,” it is still in your best interest to invoke your Fifth Amendment right.
2. Ask for a Lawyer!As soon as you can you should elect your right to have a defense attorney present. A Minnesota criminal defense lawyer or public defender can ensure the police do not violate your rights and help you avoid saying anything incriminating during questioning. Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so that we can be by your side whenever you need us. Call now!
I cannot thank you enough for your help!
“Your patience, knowledge and especially your attention to detail was admirable.”
This settlement has completely changed my life.
“This settlement has completely changed my life. I appreciate Joe and Hannah’s tireless effort.”
Thank you for being so supportive
“I just want to say that I don’t know any lawyers who would do what you did for your client.”
“I just wanted to say thank you again for helping me out with everything.”
Thank you again.
“When Kayla answered the telephone I felt like somebody truly had my back and cared about protecting me.”
We’ll start your case with a FREE, no-obligation consultation
Attorney Joseph Tamburino is a Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist, achieved by only 3% of Attorneys
We have represented thousands of clients and we have handled hundreds of jury trials
Our attorneys have worked as prosecutors and public defenders throughout the state
Our team is available 24/7 – when our clients need us, we’re there for them
The wave of marijuana legalization sweeping across the country is reshaping many aspects of our society, including public health, criminal justice, and even our economy. As marijuana becomes official ...Read More
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz (D) has recently signed a bill that will legalize recreational marijuana for adults. The bill has brought Minnesota in league with 22 other states that have taken ...Read More
Attorney Joe Tamburino penned an op-ed for the StarTribune on the likelihood of a successful appeal for Kim Potter, the former Brooklyn Center police officer convicted for manslaughter in the death of ...Read More