Dangerous Weapon & Firearm Offense Attorneys in Minneapolis
Speak With Us 24/7: (612) 444-5020
The state of Minnesota and the federal government are tough on crimes involving guns and dangerous weapons. If you or a loved one have been charged with a weapons offense, or if a weapon enhancement has been added to another charge, you need an experienced defense team capable of protecting your rights, your freedom, and your future.
At Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A., our Minneapolis weapon offense attorneys have the insight and resources needed to effectively challenge the government’s case against you and pursue the best possible outcome in your case.
Why We're the Best Choice:
- We have more than 100 years of combined experience
- Our lead attorneys draw from insight gained as former prosecutors
- We’ve handled hundreds of jury trials in state and federal courts
- Our team includes Attorneys consistently named to Super Lawyers® Magazine
Discuss your case as soon as possible. Contact us for a FREE consultation.
Misdemeanor & Felony Weapons Charges
State and federal governments enforce a number of laws regulating firearms. There are also many laws regulating dangerous weapons, which are defined as any weapon capable of causing death or great bodily harm. Under Minnesota law, explosives, fire, and combustible/flammable liquids are also considered dangerous weapons.
Depending on the facts and circumstances in a particular case – such as the nature of the charge, the type of weapon involved, any history of mental illness or substance abuse, and a defendant’s criminal record – weapons crimes may be prosecuted as misdemeanors or felonies.
Our attorneys have the experience to handle all types of weapons charges at both the state and federal level, including the following felonies:
- Recklessly handling a firearm or weapon
- Possession of a firearm by a prohibited person/felon
- Intentionally pointing a gun, loaded or unloaded, at someone
- Possession of brass knuckles or switchblades
- Possession of a machine gun or sawed-off shotgun
- Recklessly discharging a firearm in a municipality
- Possession or sale of silencers
- Possession of a gun in court or some government buildings
- Furnishing dangerous weapons/furnishing to minors
- Negligent storage of a loaded firearm
Gun Crime Enhancements
Individuals who possess, brandish, discharge a firearm, or injure others using a firearm while committing another offense can be subject to weapons enhancements. An enhancement is an additional term of imprisonment added to the sentence for the underlying crime. Under Minnesota law, these enhancements may be 1, 3, or 5 years, depending the facts of a case. Mandatory minimums in federal cases involving guns can result in very lengthy enhancements, including 5, 7, 10, and 30-year minimum sentences.
Dangerous weapon enhancements can apply to the following crimes, among others:
- Burglary and robbery
- Felony stalking
- Kidnapping / false imprisonment
- Felony drug crimes, including trafficking
- Drive-by shootings
- Three prior drug trafficking or violent felony convictions
Trust a Proven Twin Cities Defense Firm
Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. has been protecting the rights of clients across the Twin Cities and the state of Minnesota since 1983. We understand weapons charges because our attorneys have years of experience handling them. If you stand accused, reach out to our team at any time to discuss your case and what we can do to help.
Consultations are FREE and confidential. Call (612) 444-5020.