3 Ways a Minor Can Protect Their Rights After an Arrest

a young person wearing handcuffs

Few minors think they will get arrested, and even fewer know what to do if they do get arrested. Too many people make the mistake of saying or doing the wrong thing after getting arrested, and this mistake can jeopardize their futures. This can be particularly true for minors who have never experienced something like an arrest before. Below, we discuss three ways a minor can protect their rights after getting arrested.

What to Do After Getting Arrested

First and foremost, it’s important for minors to know the legal reasons that a police officer can arrest them. A police officer can only arrest a person if:

  • The police officer witnesses a person commit a crime.
  • The police officer has probable cause to believe that a person has committed a crime.
  • A judge has issued an arrest warrant supported by probable cause.

Once arrested, minors must remember that they have rights. In order to defend their rights, minors should follow these guidelines after an arrest:

  • Remain silent. Miranda rights entitle anyone who gets arrested the right to remain silent. It’s always smart to remain silent after an arrest until you can talk to a lawyer, since anything said can later be used against an individual in court.
  • Make a phone call. Most states grant a person who has been arrested a phone call to a family member, a bail bondsman, and an attorney. Keep in mind that many calls made from jail may be recorded, unless the call is to an attorney.
  • Contact an experienced defense attorney. It’s vital for those who have been arrested to contact a qualified defense attorney as soon as possible. An experienced attorney will use every measure possible to protect their clients’ futures.

Minors must know how to protect their rights before an arrest occurs. Otherwise, a simple statement or admission could later incriminate them and destroy their futures.

If your child has been arrested, our Minneapolis defense attorneys are here to help. We understand that a mistake shouldn’t ruin a young person’s future. We encourage you to contact us today to learn about your options.

Call Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. at (612) 444-5020 to schedule a free consultation.

Related Posts
  • Can My Child Face Jail Time? Read More
  • Will a Juvenile Crime Affect College Admission Decisions? Read More
  • Your Child’s Life Isn’t Over After a Juvenile Crime. Here’s Why Read More