Minneapolis Prostitution Defense Attorney
Charged with Prostitution or Solicitation?
Prostitution is a harshly punished crime in Minnesota. Selling, buying, and promoting sex are all illegal activities. Even housing a minor who engages in prostitution is a punishable offense. If you are facing charges for any one of these crimes, it is urgent that you get in touch with a Minneapolis sex crimes defense lawyer from Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. as soon as possible. With your future, reputation and freedom on the line, you shouldn't wait to begin planning your defense.
Why call Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A.?
- Our lawyers are available 24/7
- We have handled hundreds of jury trials in the state
- Both of partners have experience as former prosecutors
- We’ll start your case with a free initial consultation
Online Solicitation & Undercover Police Stings
Social networking sites are an easy way for sex traffickers to market their product, which is why police have had so much success luring criminals through online ads. Operation Guardian Angel, an initiative operated out of the Minneapolis Police Department, conducts investigations throughout the Twin Cities to organize stings and apprehend people who intend to engage in sex with a prostitute.
The police have been targeting and infiltrating specific sites such as Backpages by creating fictitious ads for dancers, massages, and other personal and private services. A person who contacts an ad might never know that they are actually contacting an undercover police officer. Prosecutors are also increasing their efforts across the board in order to curb the proliferation of prostitution.
The Penalties for Prostitution in Minnesota
If you are being accused of soliciting or seeking sex in exchange for payment, or offering to engage in prostitution, you could face the following penalties in Minnesota:
- Up to 20 years in prison and $40,000 in fines if involving a juvenile under 13 years
- Up to 10 years in prison and $20,000 in fines if involving a juvenile 13-15 years
- Up to 5 years in prison and $10,000 in fines if involving a juvenile 16-17 years
- Up to 1 year in jail and $3,000 in fines if involving prostitution with an adult
Any of these penalties could have a profound effect on your life. Not only could you face time behind bars, but the requirement that you register as a sex offender could limit where you are able to work and live, and may change the way people perceive you. Working with a Minneapolis sex crimes defense attorney from our firm may help you avoid the reputation-shattering consequences of a conviction.
Defenses to a Prostitution or Solicitation Charge
If you have been arrested for prostitution or solicitation, there may be a number of defenses available in your case. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you remain silent and avoid speaking to the police until you have had the chance to consult a criminal defense lawyer from our firm.
- Entrapment: Entrapment occurs when a law enforcement officer entices a person to commit a crime that they otherwise would not commit. If you were enticed by an undercover police officer to solicit or even engage in prostitution, you may have a viable entrapment defense.
- Lack of Probable Cause: If you are arrested for solicitation or prostitution before a crime is actually committed, the police must be able to show that they had probable cause to make an arrest. This means that an explicit offer to engage in prostitution must be documented.
- Due Process Defense: If, during the course of an undercover prostitution sting, a police officer engages in outrageous conduct, it could be argued that your due process rights have been violated. This would be the case if a police officer engaged in sexual contact, for example.
Facing Sex Crime Charges in the Twin Cities?
With so much depending on the outcome of your case, it is crucial that you do not risk a conviction by not calling a Minneapolis criminal defense attorney from Caplan & Tamburino Law Firm, P.A. We can provide you with the hard-hitting legal strategies you need to possibly have your charges lessened or even acquitted. With over 100 years of experience providing top-rated defense to clients throughout Minnesota, you can be confident in our ability to handle your case tenaciously and effectively.
Call now to request your free consultation with a Minneapolis sex crime lawyer.